It’s hard to believe that I will be 50 very soon. I intend to be fabulous at 50 but that’s another story. Lately I have been thinking about how much things have changed in my lifetime. I have read many posts of people lamenting the good ole days, and while I do not wish to go back in time, I do think it’s always a good idea to take stock of the changes good and bad.
1) Video games… now a days they are handheld and completely portable with awesome graphics. I cannot tell you how annoying it is to be at a restaurant and a kid at the table next to you is playing on an ipad with the volume up and the parents could give a crap cause for this moment they are getting a break from parenting. In my day video games were PONG and you had to get permission to play it on the ONE tv in the house, and you had to learn manners and behave yourself at the restaurant or you didn’t go. In fact, I think I was about 14 before Pong even came out…before that there were NO video games. Tell that to a kid today…No video games…they would be like “how did you live” LOL
2) Reel to reel & 8 track music players… believe it or not my family had these and we used them regularly. It’s strange to think of now… I remember watching my step-dad loading the reel to reel tapes. In the car 8 track players were all the rage, everyone had one. LOL
3) VHS & CASSETTE TAPES… I remember how bulky my video and music collections use to be and now they can be stored on something that fits in the palm of my hand.
4) Letter writing…. seems to be all but a thing of the past. Now everyone emails and instant messages. Which is awesome because of the speed but I really feel something is lost there. There is something very cool about writing a letter and actually mailing it and waiting for a return letter.
5) Books are also becoming a thing of the past and this one truly is upsetting to me because without printed physical records it is far too easy to alter our histories. Also..books…printed, leather-bound, have a magic about them and I don’t want to see that go away. I love that I can read online because I have diminished vision and my Kindle has opened up a whole new world for me that I didn’t previously have access to. The selection of large-print books was dismal at best and much of what interested me did not exist in large-print. All that said…I never want to see real books disappear.
6) Picture tube tv’s…. I don’t see these anymore in the store. All I see are flat screens…not that I am complaining mind you, but it’s weird to see things you grew up with go away.
7) Mervyn’s…. I know it’s just a (was a) retail chain, but I loved it. I always scored big on clothes for myself, and for our children growing up. They closed in this last recession…and I must admit I am most saddened. Why couldn’t fucking Walmart have closed.
What are some things that you have seen come and go, and are you happy or sad about it?